Case Consultation for Therapists
Working in private practice as a therapist or counselor can bring a set of unique challenges, including strong feelings of isolation. This is particularly true if you carry a heavy client load and you carry a client load or if the space that you meet people is located where there aren’t a lot of others around.
As a clinician, you want to offer the best services possible and help your client function as well as possible to reach important life goals.
When working with men and men’s issues, it is sometimes easy to think that because we are either male or have worked with men in the past, we somehow “get” the topical areas going on. For example – depression is depression and anxiety and anxiety, right? Well, not exactly. The truth is men often cope with and work through life issues, including emotions, differently than their female counterparts.
Men’s Issues are Unique
When you work with men as part of your client load, you will likely run across issues that are unique and specific to guys. While graduate studies, training and internships offer some insight on these issues, the truth is that most of these programs don’t focus enough on these issues because there simply isn’t enough time.
And so whenever you work with someone outside of your particular niche area, it is important to seek out quality consultation with another helping professional. This is particularly true if you are coming across issues that seem unfamiliar to you and you feel confused, “stuck” or unsure how to proceed.
Common Reasons to Seek Consultation for Men’s Issues:
- Trying to understand how men “think” and respond to issues with insight into “men problems“.
- Counter-transference issues that relate in some way to your own past, including relationships, spiritual or religious beliefs.
- Material your client is bringing up around sexual behaviors that you feel uncomfortable talking about because you do not want to cause them to feel “shamed” or “judged”.
- Perhaps it is just hard for you to “get” what your male client is stating and feel a bit of a “disconnect” around the subject matter.
- Feeling like your client has sexualized the material he is talking about as part of transference and you are not sure how to proceed.
- Maybe you feel offended by your client’s behaviors and actions but want some guidance and options.
- You need to understand how to connect with your male client at the “guy” level so that he’s more likely to open up.
- Maybe you need unique insight into gay male clients or straight male clients, including cultural differences and norms.
Case Consultations Can Be Helpful
I can provide helps and guidance with:
- Feeling less isolated and stress when working with male clients on “guy” issues.
- Provide guidance regarding the psycho-social assessment.
- Help you develop treatment plans that are culturally appropriate.
- Deliver evidence based resources to help you with the creation and development of your treatment plan.
- Assist you with making remarks that make come off as insensitive.
- Dispel common myths about working with men, including men who identify as gay or bisexual.
- Help provide guidance for men who are having affairs on their significant others.
- Assist you with managing issues around transference and countertransference.
- Fill in knowledge gaps that may exist about working with men’s issues and life challenges.
- Troubleshoot potential ethical issues that may come up.
- Assist you with understanding “guy think” and assist you with making meaningful break-throughs.
- Creating greater awareness around the male culture, including the strong need to compete and in some cases, dominate.
- Assist you with working with clients who present as “angry”.
- Help you with tricky issues involving your client with substance abuse, use and dependence.
- Help you to build a male affirming practice, regardless if your clients are straight, gay or bisexual.
Coaching Services for Therapists
In addition to the above mentioned, I also offer coaching services for therapists. This includes tips for building your practice to create wealth.
Why Should I Hire You as for Consultations?
To be blunt, when you hire me you are hiring a men’s specialist who has worked around men’s issues for most all of his career in capacities that include corporate work, counseling and coaching.
Aside from being an Approved Clinical Supervisor through the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE) and a consultant to other therapists on men’s issues, I’ve also written extensively about “guy” issues for most of my working life.
Am I Not Simply Giving You the Money Client’s Give Me?
That’s a good question but the simple answer is – no. When you seek out consultation from a specialist, you are receiving guidance on issues that can be applied towards the total span of your client population. While the work we do may be client specific, the lessons, guidance and insight offered have universal application (in many cases).
By increasing your knowledge base on men’s issues, including important topical insight into how guys think, sexual behaviors and sexual orientation, you fortify your own knowledge base and by extension, level of expertise and comfort levels.
Why Should I Choose You for Consultations Over Other Therapists?
You certainly have a choice of helping professionals for clinical consultation. Here are some reasons you might want to consider working with me:
- I’ve been working around male health related issues for over 10 years.
- Currently on staff as a faculty member at the graduate level, instructing courses related to male psychology and health.
- Fully Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor in the state of Illinois
- Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor in Illinois
- Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist
- Approved Clinical Supervisor through the Center for Credentialing and Education.
- Doctorate in Psychology from a Regionally Accredited University. I also hold masters degrees in psychology and wellness promotion.
- Master of Business Administration with a focus on Health Care Management.
- Contributor, writer and expert source consultant on men’s health issues, including Men’s Health and other wellness related magazines.
- Author of the successful book, Confusing Love with Obsession which focuses heavily on men’s issues.
- Previous supervision experience
What is Your Fee for Consultations?
I offer a flat fee for consultations at $150.00 per 50 minute session. The fee is not reimbursable by Health Savings Plans. You may be able to deduct what you pay in consultation fees for tax purposes as part of costs associated with doing private practice. Check with your accountant.
How Many Consultations Will I Need?
There is no minimum or maximum number. You can schedule as many consultations as you need. Some of the clinicians I work with only need guidance with one particular issue and so it is a “one shot” deal. Others desire ongoing consultations.
It is not uncommon for me to work with a therapist in the role of consultant on a monthly basis. And you should know that I regularly work with a consultant each month. For a wide variety of reasons, I personally feel it is the best money I ever spend.
How are Consultations for Therapists Offered?
Most of the consultation work I do is conducted over the telephone, Skype or Facetime. I work with clinicians all of the country. If you are in Chicago, we can meet in my office.
How Can I arrange a Consultation with You?
The best way is to either call me directly at 773.704.5300 or by sending me a confidential note using my secure contact form.